Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Haramaki! - tummy warmer -

My sister sent this from Japan and I was very skeptical at first.
It's called Haramaki. It's basically underwear that you wrap around your waist. (sorry it's not explicit with this pic)

This was an old way to get yourself warm - when building heating system wasn't good. Back then, people used to put on anything they could to keep them warm.
Now that we are in the modern society, we thought we didn't need it any more because it's not sexy and we've got whole bunch of cool ways to warm ourselves.

But then, it's back! And it's back with whole new look. (see the website I linked below)

My sister said it was super warm.

And it is! I think it is back because people decided, after all, that this is much more efficient and comfortable than its modern version competitors!
....this is hard to explain. Can you imagine how much such a small piece of fabric can do to your body? It's pretty thin and fits your body, and when your tummy is kept warm, your whole body feels so much warmer!

If you are trying to minimize your expense, this small cloths can save your some dollars because you can lower the temperature of your home heater 2-3 degrees! And obivously it'll reduce your carbon footprint. I am serious.

Well, honestly, you can't wear your hip-hung jeans with this, but if you are done with that phase, it's for you. I found some interesting story on Haramaki: Check this out.

5 comments:

Linda said...

I love these!
I found them through Haramaki Love when I came back from Japan. www.haramakilove.com can't live without it now.

Chantel said...

I sometimes wear sarashi, which isn't as convenient to put on, but it really does keep the body warm.

3 little pigs said...

You can get them in the UK - Yes, really keep the body warm and hiding your pants!

3 little pigs said...

That should have read you can get them at www.nukunuku.co.uk in the UK!

Anonymous said...

I wore the old traditional ones when I was pregnant with my daughter in Japan. My mother in law swore by them and at the time I was young and thought she was mad!! Best thing actually to keep the tummy warm. Nice that they are trendy!!