Monday, February 25, 2008

Reducing plastic bottles.

Slowly but steadily, "Paper or plastic?" at the grocery stores is being replaced by "BYOB. (bring your own bag).

Plastic bag is being worked on, so now it's turn for plastic bottles to be looked at.


Rather than trying to collect/recycle used bottles, I have an easy solution to reduce the number of End-of-Life plastic bottles that is generated on a daily basis: Replace soda/water in a plastic bottle with a tea in a cup.

I won't go over the health benefits of drinking tea, because you can browse a lot of information on the Internet. As to me, I grew up drinking tea; I am just used to it. I like taking warm fluid in my body. Once you are used to it, it is relaxing and soothing. Of course, you could eliminate the intake of excess sugar!

So, I drink tea more often than soda.....but it's primarily because I prefer tea to soda. But tea seems to be much greener than bottled bevarages. Imagine how much we have to invest to buy bottles of water or sodas and then keep them cool. Liquid is pretty heavy and not compactable. It takes space/energy/labor to ship, transport, sell and buy. Then, it takes a lot of room in your fridge to cool, especially if you have multiple kids! Last but not least, at the end of the day, we have to do something with piles and piles of plactic bottles.

Tea can eliminate all of them! All you need is tap water, a kettle, a cup and bags of tea. Indeed, tea revives tap water. When it's purified and boiled, it's not bad at all (at least my tap water is good for tea).

photo by: Al- Fassam

No comments: