Monday, April 7, 2008

Tofu hamburger patty

I am not a vegan, but I don't eat meat much. Especially beef feels too heavy for me.

But sometimes I feel like eating greasy stuff. I make hamburger patty using Tofu (firm).

You can use your own recipe for making patty. You'd only have to determine Meat: Tofu mixture ratio. I like to mix ground beef and ground pork at 1:1 ratio; it tastes lighter. Then I mix beef/pork ground meat with Tofu at 1:1 ratio. Caveat: with more Tofu and less meat, the patty can be soft and squishy. Handle with care! To be on the safe side, you can start low Tofu ratio and increase the amount as you are used to handle it. Binder (eggs, little bit of flour or bread crumbs...) is recommended.

A tip: try to minimize water content in Tofu. You can place a Tofu on a kitchen towel or kitchen cloth, and then place something heavy on top of Tofu for 10 to 20 minutes. (e.g. A plate with something heavy on it)

Texture of patty with Tofu is pretty soft, mild and smooth. I serve them as hamburg steak with salad. You can add ketchup or mayonnaise or other sauce as you like.

Ground shrimp or squid in place of beef or pork tastes great too! You chop them with food processor.

photo: nakaya rie

No comments: