Friday, March 14, 2008

mis-eco-mmunication

Like other greenbies, I try to use my reusable grocery bag.

I sometimes go to little local Korean grocery stores in town. They are all very friendly and nice. Unfortunately, they don't know what reusable bag is for.

I place it on the cashier when checking out. Sometimes I get luckey to have someone who asks "what is this?" Then I can explain. But this does not happen often. Today I got someone who was very nice and customer-oriented, but didn't speak English at all. I don't speak Korean at all. I couldn't explain what I wanted.


And this is what happened. As is the case with many Asian countries I guess, service is good. A lot of service is very good. She placed my grocery in so many plastic bags, and then placed them so nicely in my reusable bag.

.........I can't blame her! No I don't want to.

When you are checking out at grocery stores, you don't want to spend 10 minutes to explain what reusable bag is for. You might have so many people standing behind you, or you are with the kids running around, or you are simply in a hurry.

Atop of these, there could be the gap on environmental awareness, coupled with language barrier.

Everybody should remember "I'm not a plastic bag" by Anya Hindmarch.

I wish if someone could come up with self-talking resuable bag; everybody can read what's written on the bag and understand what it is for. And it still can be cool, isn't it?

It will facilitate using reusable bags, and at the same time will educate people who are not aware of what's going on. I guess I'm not the only one who struggle with the checkers who do not know about reusable bags.

No comments: